Ottawa Fat Grafting – Tips and Info
Posted March 25, 2014
- Our clinic is fully accredited for general anesthesia and overnight stay (<24hrs), should this be necessary.
- We have done hundreds of general anesthetic cases since opening 9 years ago.
- Added advantage that unwanted fat is removed (permanently).
- I am a Royal College Certified Plastic Surgeon and I was American Board Certified for the 1st 10 years of my practice, until I decided that I would stay in Canada permanently.
- I have always done lots of cosmetic breast surgery, face lifts and body contouring surgery and this is how I became interested in fat grafting and questioned the age old belief that the fat doesn’t live – it does; at least 50% of the fat transferred.
- This belief is now well documented by fellow plastic surgery pioneers in this field and the rest of the plastic surgery community is scrambling to catch up.
- Anyone less than 100 pounds likely does not have the fat needed for transfer.
- It is an exacting and meticulous process that requires experience and know-how in the fat harvesting, processing and preparation, and the grafting technique; it takes time and expertise to learn and perform this well.
- You need to be good at liposuction so the donor sites (where the fat is taken from) look nice; fortunately, I am experienced in cosmetic liposuction having done this for many years.